Thursday, March 27, 2008

What I want to hear from the candidates

I want to hear Clinton & Obama say what they'd do when pork-stuffed spending bills from the Democratic Congress reached the White House.

I want to hear McCain discuss the situation in Iraq--not his stance (stay 'till the last dog is hung). He's spoken about his stance nonstop. I want him to describe the situation--what's going on with the Sunnis, including Awakening factions and Al Qaeda-leaning ones, and where their support is coming from abroad (Saudi Arabia via Jordan and Syria mainly); The Shia, including the conflict between the Sadrists and the Maliki-"led" faction, and Al-Sistani, and where Shia support is coming from relative to these factions (that would be, by and large, different factions in Iran, one led by Ahmadinejad, the other by less hard-line folks, both opposed weakly by more liberal politicians, mostly out of office now).

Because while I don't think much of Clinton's braggadocio (next thing you know she'll be talking about how she was nailing snipers with a 50 cal. machine gun, hand-held) or Obama's attempt to become black after an totally unblack upbringing by attending the blackest church in Chicago and kissing off his white family to some extent, I think even less of McCain's apparent ignorance about who's who in Iraq. I appreciate his military background--that's fine with me. But just as I don't think Rev. McNasty was being taken out of context, and I don't think Clinton just misspoke, I'm not buying McCain's having "misspoke" either. I'll assume he's either ignorant or borderline senile until he speaks on Iraq enough to convince me that he knows what's going on there.

No comments: